Friday 9 December 2011

Evaluation Question 1 DRAFT

 In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?


When researching into digi-packs I again looked for examples that I liked. I think a key aspect about a front cover that I thought should be on is the band. Razorlight - Razorlight was an album cover that I thought was simple but effective. Another similar inspiration is The Hives 'Veni Vendi Vicious'. I featured the band standing in a similar pose but instead of having just a black and white cover I decided to add some colour with the red and blue in the title. Instead of just having a black and white picture of the band I used an effect on photoshop (posterize) to make the photo just black and white, an effect that I believed worked well. This effect is similar to that used on Kasabian's Velociraptor! front cover. I thought this red and blue worked well, so I carried it on throughout.


 For my band logo I decided that the band's name in a simple font would work well, I made it italic as I quite liked the look of that on The Stroke's albums. I've used the band name as a motif throughout my digipack. 






Inside the cover I was originally going to keep it very simple, featuring the credits on one page, a CD outline in the middle and some location pictures on the right hand side page. I did this on my draft, but when I saw it finished I realised this didn't work well at all. 


The feedback I received gave me the idea to feature more images of the band, I used images from stills of the music video, in the same effect of black and white posterize. I also changed the inside to have a low opacity patterned red and blue background, so that the 3 panels were joined together as I felt this would look better and was a common feature in most digipacks I researched into. 


The pattern used on the middle and left back panels was sort of an impulsive decision when making these on photoshop. I wanted to keep the colour scheme of red and blue and was planning to just use one of these colours as a block background. I played around with some shapes and then patterned the blocks together and in the end looked quite effective. I used the font 'futura' throughout as I felt it was effective in many different forms throughout digipack and poster. 

No comments:

Post a Comment